with balsamic vinegar and “maranelo” polenta
1. Gut the pigeons well and burn any remaining feathers over a gas flame, wash them and brown them on all sides in a little oil.
2. Leave them to cool, remove the pigeon carcasses beginning with the breast and form two pieces without the wing and thigh. Roast any remaining bones and the livers in a very hot oven for 10 minutes.
3. Drain off the fat, put the carcasses in a saucepan, fill it with cold water, add a mixture of vegetables and a bunch of herbs and slowly bring to the boil, reducing it by more than half. Strain it and keep it warm.
4. Finish cooking the pigeon breasts in the oven.
5. Caramelise part of the sugar in a saucepan, add the balsamic vinegar and the pigeon broth. Reduce it by more than half, season with salt if necessary and add a little fresh butter to the sauce.
6. Slice the pigeon breast, place it in a circle on a warm dish, drizzle with balsamic vinegar and serve with “Maranelo” polenta.